- Focus on Research
- Computational Astrophysics
UCSC is one of the national centers for research in computational astrophysics, and is host to the High Performance AstroComputing Center (HIPACC), which brings together computational research throughout the UC system, including the UC-managed national labs: LBL, LLNL, and LANL. UCSC is also host to the annual summer school in AstroComputation, run by HIPACC members.
- Latest News
With four departments (Astronomy, Physics, Applied Math, and Earth & Planetary Sciences) hosting astrophysics, the AstroSeminar schedule at UCSC is overflowing with stimulating presentations. Unless noted, these are public events, and undergraduates are especially welcome.
A master list of websites is given below, and most individual speakers and titles are also listed weekly on the UCSC AstroGoogle Calendar page.
Notice to AstroEvent schedulers: to have your information entered onto the AstroGoogle Calendar, please phone or email to Maria Sliwinski in the Astronomy Department: 9-2844, email@example.com.
The following schedules and locations are approximate. For up-to-the-minute information, consult the websites below and the AstroGoogle Calendar.
Departmental colloquia and general talks
- Astronomy Department colloquium: 3:45 PM Wed., Nat Sci II 101 (You can sign up to receive regular email notices of Astronomy colloquia here.)
- Astronomy Friday Lunchtime Astrophysics Seminar Hour (FLASH): 12:30 PM Fri., ISB 102. This series often features local grads and postdocs; bring your lunch.
- Applied Math seminar: 4 PM Mon., Eng. 2 Bldg.,180. Contact: Pascale Garaud.
- Whole Earth seminar: (EPS department): 4 PM Tues., Nat Sci II Annex 101
- Physics Department colloquium: 4 PM Thurs., Thimann Lecture Hall 2
- Santa Cruz Institute for Particle Physics (SCIPP) seminars: 10:30 AM Thurs, ISB 310
- Institute for Geophysics and Planetary Physics (IGPP) seminars: 3 PM Fri., EMS B214
Research group seminars
- COSMO Club Cosmology seminar: 12:45 PM Mon., ISB 102. Contact: Joel Primack. For current listings see the AstroGoogle Calendar.
- Experimental High-Energy and Particle Astrophysics seminar: 2:00 PM Mon., ISB310. Contact: David Williams. For current listings see the AstroGoogle Calendar.
- Planetary Lunch: 12:00 PM Tues., C332 E&MS. Contact: Francis Nimmo. For current listings see the AstroGoogle Calendar.
- IMPS seminar: bi-weekly 12:15 PM Wed., CfAO atrium. Interstellar/galactic medium seminar. Contact: Xavier Prochaska. For current listings, see the AstroGoogle Calendar
- Fermi/GLAST user group: 12 noon Wed., ISB 102. By invitation only. Contact: Robert Johnson.
- Condensed matter seminar: 2 PM Fri (Anthony, I could not find a person contact or a web page)
- DEEP Survey team meeting: 11 AM Fri, 126 ISB. Contact: David Koo
- DEEP Survey science meeting: 2 PM Tues, location variable. Contact: David Koo
Coffees and journal clubs
- Astronomy daily morning coffee: 10:45 AM, CfAO atrium.
- Astronomy Journal Club: 10:45 AM Thurs., CfAO atrium. Contact: Astronomy postdoc representative.
- TALK (Tuesday Astrophysics Lunchtime Kaleidoscope): 12:30 PM Tues., CfAO atrium Faculty, postdocs, grads, and undergrads present brief summaries of their recent research and ask for advice on research problems. Bring your own questions and get help.